Thursday, August 28, 2008

Payton's First day of School....


So I thought that I would be a wreck this week after sending Payton off to the First grade, but so far I'm doing ok. Noah was a mess, and shared his woes with the waiter at the Blue Plate soda counter over breakfast.

I understand that I may still be in complete denial that after she lined up, with a hushed voice and raised eyebrows, she turned to me and said, "Mom, you can go now." She turned forward again and that was it. She didn't look back when the bell rang, and while other kids were waving and blowing kisses, she didn't even blink...no hint of acknowledgment that mom and dad were even there...just marched straight inside. I could be sad about this, but to tell the truth, I was so proud of this little one. Payton, who just a year ago on her first day of kindergarten, was wailing with such intense and heartwrenching cries for mommy as she lined up and walked inside that I was told by a mother next to me that she wasn't crying for her own little one, she was crying for Payton. After the line had filed in last Tuesday, several of the moms who had witnessed last years death march were nodding their heads with an encouraging zeal. I turned to Noah who was sniffing back tears. He said, with an exaggerated sigh, "What a difference a year makes..." I won't say it didn't get me choked up just a little when he said it. I've missed her sounds around the house all day, and Chase is excited to have the toys all to herself for about 5 minutes before she's asking, "When is Payton getting home?" But for now I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store for Miss Payton....She's growing into a pretty cool little person.

(Now ask me if I'll feel the same sentiment when she wants to talk about a driver's license...can we please increase the legal driving age to 30? )

PS...She also got her first loose tooth the day before school started...